Friday, July 28, 2006

Tri-Colored Spiral Parathas


This is a very good way of getting veggies into kids. This involves mixing 3 different doughs. I have used spinach and carrot. You can also use peas, beans, beets, etc. pureed, mixed into the wheat flour while mixing the dough for making parathas. I have not used oil while mixing the dough and I just used very few drops of oil while roasting it on the tava. It is a low calorie food and very nutritious.

I was pureeing veggies for my kid and then I thought why shouldn't I mix it with the dough to make the chapathi more colorful. Recently, I was reading about swiss cake rolls in a cookbook and when I saw the cross section, I thought this will make a good colorful paratha and I tried it. I liked the way it looked and of course the way it tasted. Its hard to get spinach into kids. But this way, I am sure anybody will like it. Its a feast both for the eye as well as the tummy.


Ingredients:

Orange Dough:
Cooked and pureed carrots: 4 tbsp
Wheat Flour: 1 cup
Salt: to taste

Green Dough:
Cooked and pureed Spinach: 4 tbsp
Wheat Flour: 1 cup
Salt: to taste

White Dough:
All purpose flour: 1 cup
Salt: to taste


Method:

1. For each dough, mix the ingredients given with water if needed. Puree's will have water. So be careful when adding more water.

2. Roll each dough into a circle/rectangle. Rectangle will have no waste.

3. Place the green circle/rectangle at the bottom. Put the white circle/rectangle on the top of it and then put the orange circle/rectangle . Press the circle/rectangle a little bit.


4. Now roll this sandwiched circle/rectangle as shown.

5. Cut this log into the required number of pieces.



5. Take each piece and flatten it and roll it into a circle.



6.Put it on the tava and cook it.



Note: Initially if you roll each dough into a circle, then when u roll the doughs, except for the central part, the sides will have less dough in them. That is why I said you should roll it into squares or rectangles.

I made the following parathas by cutting the sandwiched circle/rectangle along the circumference/edge. Or should I say, I drew a concentric circle and removed the outer part. I took the outer part and I cut along the small side and rolled it tight and then cut it crosswise and rolled it. This way you get a lot more spirals of the 3 colors. The last picture has the cooked paratha with more spirals with Eggplant and moong wadi subji.


This is my entry for , JFI-Flour and Independence Day Food Parade .

14 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger Ashwini said...

Hi Roopa, got here through VKs blog. Welcome to the blogworld.
The parathas are really creative I must say!

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Jayashree said...

What pretty looking parathas, Roopa....I love them already.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Shilpa said...

Wow..they look amazing...y dont u send them to Mahanandi(Indira)'s event for independence day?

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Krithika said...

Your parathas looks great. Welcome to the blog world. Came here through Indira's blog.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Mika said...

Hi Roopa-great idea! It must have taken a while to make those lovely parathas.

Thanks for trying out my subzi recipe:-)

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Roopa said...

Hey all,

Thanks for those wonderful comments. It sure feels nice to read those comments. Now I know why people blog :)

Shilpa: I will send it to the Independence day event. Now, I think they are appropriately colored. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

Mika: We love that subzi recipe. That nite i just had 2 roma tomatoes and so it doesn't look the same as how u have photographed. It tasted a little different than usual. Thanks for that recipe. I have the Vegetable chutney bookmarked now... That will be next :)

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger archana said...

Very creative !

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

WOW!!!! 1st time here. Ur paratha is a hit. What a great idea. Well done.

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Crevettes a la soupe de bisous said...

Very nice! And they look so good!

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Krithika said...

Nice paranthas. Thank you for sharing this.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger FH said...

Looks good and lobor intensive!!

Will try later, thanks!

 
At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent paratha's idea. Nutritious too. Keep those recipes rolling.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger archana said...

Congratulations Roopa on winning VCC Q2 !!! Time for treats !!

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger Roopa said...

Hey! YAY!

VCCQ2 was my first entry into an event and I am glad that people have liked it. Thanks to all of you who supported me.

Thanks Archana n CONGRATULATIONS to you too!!! Now I shall wait for that scrumptious cake that you bake and decorate to celebrate!!!!

Foodie's Hope, Asha, I will get the MTR saagu soon, the next time I cook it, I will take a pic and write about it.

Once again! Thanks folks for those encouraging comments!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home